Renfrewshire South MSP Tom Arthur is encouraging his constituents to get involved in shaping Scotland’s new, fairer social security system through the Scottish Government’s Social Security Experience Panels.

The Experience Panels are the key mechanism for putting the user voice at the centre of social security, to ensure a system that works for those who use it.

From Social Security Scotland’s opening hours, to the design of benefit application forms, to how staff behave, and how to communicate to people about moving their benefits to Scotland, Experience Panel members are involved in the detail of how service is delivered with dignity, fairness and respect.

Applications are open to people from any background with experience of the current benefits system, particularly those with lived experience of Disability Living Allowance; Attendance Allowance; Carer’s Allowance; Funeral Expenses Payment; Cold Weather Payment; Winter Fuel Payment; and Industrial Injuries Disability Benefit.

Members are regularly asked for their views in a number of ways, including workshops, interviews and surveys that can be carried out face-to-face, on the phone and online. Panel members are free to take part as much or as little as they like.

Tom Arthur MSP commented:

“It is vital that people remain at the heart of how social security is designed and delivered in Renfrewshire South and across Scotland.

“We want social security in Scotland to be based on dignity, fairness and respect, that’s why the views from the people who actually use the service are key.

“These panels should be a true representation of our society, so I’d like to encourage my Renfrewshire South constituents from all backgrounds to put their views towards the design of a system that works for Scotland.”

The Scottish Government Social Security Experience Panels have been running for two years and will run for at least two more.

A number of research reports have already been published on work with panel members so far.

People can apply online or by calling 0800 029 4974.

Applications can also be completed on paper forms, which can be requested on the number above or by emailing

Categories: News